Newborn Hat with Bow Tutorial
Add a bow to a newborn hat for the ultimate boutique look! Crochet
the newborn hat using one of the many free tutorials available on the
Internet. If you are not a crocheter purchase a knit or crocheted
hat and add your own Mini Bowdabra bow. The infant beanie hat
shown in this tutorial, I crocheted using a free tutorial that I found
Bow Making Supplies:
- 1.5″ wide White Grosgrain 18″ long
- 1.5″ wide Polka Dot Sheer 18″ long
- 1.5″ wide Polka Dot Sheer 5″ long
- 7/8″wide White Grosgrain 14″ long
- 3/8″ wide Yellow Grosgrain 28″ approximate
- Mini Bowdabra
- Hair Bow Tool & Ruler
- Bowdabra Bow Wire
1. Begin with a crocheted or knit newborn hat.
2. Place the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler onto the Mini
Bowdabra. Cut 18″ of Bowdabra Bow Wire, fold the wire in
half and place it into the Mini Bowdabra.
3. To make your first boutique bow, cut 18″ of 1.5″ wide white
grosgrain. Fold the ribbon in half to create a crease, at the
crease mark press it into the Mini Bowdabra.
4. Create the boutique style bow by pressing the ends of the ribbon
into the Mini Bowdabra. The ribbon should form an “X”.
5. Press each ribbon strand into the Mini Bowdabra to form your
first bow, use the ruler to adjust your loops.
6. Cut 18″ of 1.5″ wide sheer polka dot ribbon. Fold the
ribbon in half to create a crease, at the crease mark press the ribbon
into the Mini Bowdabra, form your second boutique style bow. Use
the Mini Bowdabra Wand to hold the bow down.
7. Cut 5″ of 1.5″ wide sheer polka dotted ribbon. Dovetail the
ends of the ribbon and press it into the Mini Bowdabra.
8. Cut 14″ of 7/8″ wide white grosgrain ribbon. Fold the
ribbon in half to form a crease. At the crease mark press the
ribbon into the Mini Bowdabra. Form your third (smaller) boutique
style bow and adjust the loops using the ruler. Continue to use
the Mini Bowdabra Wand to hold the ribbon down.
9. You will need approximately 14″ of 3/8″ wide yellow grosgrain,
press the end of the ribbon into the Mini Bowdabra, continue to fold a
total of six 1″ wide loops. The Mini Bowdabra Wand will need to
be used to hold the bow down. Scrunch the bow down with each loop
10. Trim the 3/8″ ribbon from the spool.
11. Keep the wand in place thread the two loose ends of Bowdabra Bow
Wire through the loop.
12. Pull the Bowdabra Bow Wire tightly while the bow is still in the
13. Gently pull the bow out of the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two
loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire and bring them around to the back
of the bow. To tie off the bow, pinch the Bowdabra Bow Wire securely
against the bow. Twist the bow 4 to 6 times in a clockwise direction.
14. Fluff the bow.
15. Trim away excess wire. Add a finishing knot and a 3/8″
ribbon strand that runs along the back of the bow. The ribbon
strand will be used to tie the bow to the hat. This way the only
thing that is near the baby’s skin is ribbon.
16. Tie the bow onto the newborn hat, leave the tails hanging behind
the bow for easy removal.
This product was added to our catalog on Friday 22 February, 2013.