pointed petal fabric flower tutorial
Pointed Petal Fabric Flower Tutorial
Follow my DIY tutorial to make a large pointed petal fabric
flower. I chose red fabric specifically to make a Christmas
style fabric bow, but any color fabric would be fun.
I have been working with bias tape to make small fabric flowers with
pointed petals and small fabric flowers with round petals.
To make this fabric flower I chose double fold quilt binding. The
quilt binding is just like bias tape except it is wider.
Materials Needed: (Flower is 3.5" wide)
- approx. 1.5yds Double Fold Quilt Binding
- Coordinating Thread
- Large Button, Gem, Bottle Cap
- Hot Glue
1. Begin by folding the quilt binding down to form a triangle.
Tuck the cut/frayed end into the triangle and whip-stitched closed.
2. Fold the quilt binding to form another triangle on the
left. Keep the binding close but not overlapping.
3. Fold the triangle in and knot at the left.
4. Fold the material to form another triangle on the right.
5. Fold the right side in to the left. Knot the point in
place. You just made your first full pointed petal.
6. Fold the material to form a triangle at the bottom.
7. Fold the material up and knot in place.
8. Fold the material to form a triangle on the right.
9. Fold the material in and knot to make your second full pointed
10. Follow the instructions 6 - 9 to continue to make petals.
11. Make a total of 20 full petals. Finish the end petal just
as the first, form a triangle fold in the frayed end and whip-stitch in
12. Sew the beginning petal and the ending petal together to form
the final 21st petal.
13. Cover the large flower opening with a button, gem, or bottle
cap. Hot glue it in place.
14. Attach the large fabric flower to a hair clip, headband, use as
a brooch, or decorate a gift with the large pointed petal fabric
This product was added to our catalog on Tuesday 20 November, 2012.